Graduate Programs

The Biological & Ecological Engineering department offers BEE programs leading to M.S., M.Eng, and Ph.D. degrees in Engineering.

Our policy is that students can be accepted into the program at any time during the year and it is possible that support from sponsored research can become available throughout the year.  Most students begin this program Fall Term and there are advantages with an early application in terms of assistantships and finding an advisor. However, we recommend that students applying for Fall Term have their application packets completed by the first Monday in January of that year, for FULL consideration.  If you decide to apply any other time, it is in your best interest to find an advisor before submitting your application.  You can submit an application after that date but opportunities for being accepted are greater at that time.

The Biological & Ecological Engineering Department offers the following graduate degrees:

We appreciate your interest in our program and we hope you decide to join us!

You will find detailed information about the application process, deadlines and university requirements on the Graduate Admissions site.  Please follow the directions on that OSU webpage if you decide to submit a formal application. The department application deadline for a domestic student is the same as the university requirement and that is no later than one month before the desired starting term – an international student is required to submit an application three months before the desired starting term.  For both domestic and international students, an early application will increase your chances of finding an advisor and financial support.

Graduate School forms

Travel and reimbursement forms

Faculty form: Graduate Learning Outcome - Defense Assessment

Accelerated Masters Forms:

The AMP application requires a "tentative plan of study that identifies up to 22 credits that will apply as transfer credits towards the graduate degree; and additional planned courses to be completed after full admission to graduate degree. The plan must be signed by the graduate advisor for non-thesis master's programs or the major professor/advisor for thesis-based master's programs. Your program advisor will supply the form. Please include the projected term of completion of the Bachelor’s degree requirements. (Note: This does not replace the Program of Study.)

Having an open and honest relationship between the major professor and the student is central to the success of a graduate experience. The student should feel free to discuss successes and problems, mistakes, or disappointments with the major professor. Throughout research and coursework, there are bound to be instances where things go wrong and this is to be expected. The sooner a problem is discussed, the sooner it can be resolved.

If you would like to share advice or recommendations on how your relationship with your major professor may be improved, you may do so in any way that works for you, including anonymous commentaries through the Department Head, Adam Ward.  If differences cannot be resolved or you feel that you would be better served by a different major advisor, it is possible that you change major advisors.

Masters students: Students in an MS program should always register for 500 level courses. 

Doctoral students: 600 level courses are designated for PhD level; HOWEVER, if there isn’t a 600 level course option for you, then you can sign up for the 500 level. 

If you applied for BEE program, then sign up for the thesis section that lists your advisor.  (example: BEE 503 003/51766 Chad Higgins). 

If you applied for WRGP (Science, Engineering, or Policy), then sign up for the WRGP thesis section that lists your advisor (example: WRE 503 008/11804 Chad Higgins) 

The program of study helps you define your path to degree completion. Create your program of study in collaboration with your major professor or advisor(s). 

For master’s students, we recommend submitting the program of study form before completing 18 graduate credits and no later than 15 weeks prior to the defense. 

Doctoral students are required to submit the program of study form by the fifth term. 

All Doctoral students and Master's students who are writing a thesis (as well as all MAIS students) are required to include a Graduate Council Representative on their committee. The Graduate Council Representative (GCR) serves in the role of impartial committee member who advocates for the student and insures that all rules governing committee procedures are followed. They must be present at your final defense of your thesis. 

You must select a GCR from the list generated by the online GCR list generation tool

A lot can happen between start and completion of your degree.  However, we are here to support you.   

First, let your advisor and your BEE, or home department’s Program Administrative Coordinator know (share only what you are comfortable with, but enough so they can help you).   

Second, fill out any necessary forms to notify the University.   

For example if you need to take a leave of absence, fill out the leave of absence request every term you need to be out.  Or you have decided to change your major (change of major form). 

All forms can be found here: