Undergraduate Program

OSU's Ecological Engineering program is uniquely multidisciplinary and was the first of its kind nationally at the undergraduate level. The Bachelor of Science (BS) and Honors Bachelor of Science (HBS) degrees in Ecological Engineering require completion of 180 credit hours and are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET.

Helpful links for future and current students. 
  • Zotero -  For documenting sources, as well as formats for citing that are suggested for the program.
  • Citation Machine - documenting sources and accidental plagiarism check.

If you have a link you would like to submit, please email it to jennifer.cohen@oregonstate.edu.  Please include a one sentence description of why the link is useful.

Who is my advisor?

We have recently transitioned from faculty advisors to a centralized advising system with one Head Advisor, Dr. Rachel Jones who will handle all advising appointments, program petitions, graduation audits, class overrides, etc.

What should I do to transfer from an external school into the EcoE program?

You will need to formally apply to OSU and be accepted.  The registrar’s office will produce an Advanced Standing Report based on your submitted transcripts.  You will then have to meet with the EcoE Head Advisor to determine which of your completed courses will count towards the EcoE degree.  More information is on our how to enroll page.

What should I do to transfer internally into the EcoE program?

Change of major requests can now be processed online by academic advisors. If you would like to change your major to EcoE, please contact Head Advisor Rachel Jones.

What if I’m transferring internally to EcoE and have already taken CH 201?

You will need to take the chemistry for major’s sequence – CH 221, 222, 223 for a total of 15 credits.  Alternatively, you can complete CH 202 and CH 205 in addition to CH 201 for 7 Cr.  You will then need an additional 8 Cr. of upper division chemistry to complete the required 15 Cr. of chemistry – usually CH 331 and 332, Organic Chemistry.

Is EcoE an ABET-accredited program?

YES! Ecological Engineering is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org. ABET evaluated the EcoE program for certification in October 2011, and awarded us accreditation. Accreditation is retroactive to students who have graduated from the program since 2010.

Can a student achieve an engineering license by graduating from EcoE?

To practice engineering professionally requires an engineering license. A part of the licensure process involves taking the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam. Students graduating from the Ecological Engineering undergraduate program can (and already have) taken the FE exam.

What is the process for applying to take the FE exam?

A: Students are able to sit for the FE exam through an arrangement with Oregon State Board of Examiners for Engineering and Land Surveying (OSBEELS), the state licensing board. Current students should apply (Dec. 1st deadline) to take the exam in the spring (early April) of their senior year through OSBEELS.  Review courses are available on campus for students taking the FE exam.

Is there a central resource for internships in the department?

Please check out our Careers and Internships webpage. In addition, Jennifer Cohen in the front office has an internship database. You are also strongly encouraged to talk the EcoE Head Advisor Rachel Jones or any of the faculty in the department who have many contacts.

I want to study abroad, how do I start the process? What are my options?

Great! Talk with the international programs office (located in University Plaza) and visit the COE international programs webpage.  Options are limitless. Generally, the engineering international programs office will handle all course approvals for engineering students studying abroad.  This office will create the necessary forms for signature once the courses have been identified. Students will then go to their respective departments for specific course approvals.  The process for the Ecological Engineering program is to obtain syllabi and other materials for the overseas courses you wish considered and submit a petition to the Head Advisor for consideration by the Undergraduate Program Committee. Acceptance of overseas courses has accreditation ramifications for the Ecological Engineering BS program. Courses, if accepted, will be considered either exact equivalents or engineering electives for programmatic purposes.

How long will a study abroad extend my degree?

This depends on many factors.  The best thing to do is write up a full course plan with and without the overseas component and check how it will affect you.  It is a good subject for discussion with your advisor and the International Programs engineering advisor.

What time is best for study abroad?

Spring/Summer of Junior Year.

How do I petition to get an exception on MyDegrees?

Talk with Head Advisor Rachel Jones. Check first, as some exceptions could be made without petition.

I am one credit short on my engineering electives, what are my options?

Take another course. Or take one credit of BEE 401 (research), BEE 410 (internship) or BEE 405 (reading and conference).

How many Upper Division (300 and 400-level) credits do I need?

60 or more upper division credits are needed.

How do I get into this great class if my pre-requisites are similar but not an exact match?

Talk to the instructor. For COE courses, you will need to fill out the College of Engineering pre-requisite waiver form.

What is the best way to schedule an advising appointment?

Scheduling of advising appointments will be done through an online scheduler, not via e-mail. For information on how to schedule an appointment, please visit the BEE advising webpage. Appointments are made on a first come, first served basis, so please plan and do not wait until your registration date to schedule an appointment.

I have a time conflict, how should I handle this?

For conflicts with engineering classes, fill out the COE override form and get signatures.  For non-engineering courses, each department has its own policies.  Meet with the affected instructors and discuss policies.

Can BEE 221 be used to satisfy the pre-requisite requirement for ENVE 421?

Yes, it currently is accepted as satisfying the pre-req requirement for ENVE 421.

For more information, please contact the BEE Head Advisor (2022: please reach out to Kimberly, Eric, or Madison in CBEE until the new head advisor is hired).