Jefferson B. Rodgers received a B.S. Degree in Mechanical Engineering in 1929, an M.S. degree in Agricultural Engineering in 1935 and a Professional degree in Agricultural Engineering, all from the University of Idaho. He came to Oregon State University as head of the Department of Agricultural Engineering in 1946 and served in that capacity until his retirement in 1969. Prior to coming to OSU, he had industrial experience with Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company in East Pittsburgh, PA, the Idaho Committee on Relation of Electricity to Agriculture, Moscow, ID, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Sikeston, MO, Commodity Credit Corporation, Waupon, WI, and War Hemp Industries, Chicago, IL. Under his leadership, J.B. Rodgers established a full-fledged Agricultural Engineering curriculum and was accredited by the Engineers Council for Professional Development, becoming only the sixth such program to receive this recognition.
PURPOSE To recognize superior achievement by a student in the Department of Biological & Ecological Engineering.
NATURE OF AWARD The award shall consist of a cash award. The amount and number of awards will be dependent upon the annual income from the J.B. Rodgers Endowment Fund that resides with the OSU Foundation. The name of the recipient and the year of the award will be inscribed on a plaque displayed in the Department of Biological & Ecological Engineering.DONORJ.B. Rodgers Agricultural Engineering Endowment Fund
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS The recipient either must be a full-time BEE undergraduate or advised in BEE as a graduate student. The graduate or undergraduate student must have a member of the Department of Biological & Ecological Engineering faculty as their major professor. The recipient must be enrolled as a full time student the term in which the award presentation is made and have at least one academic year left at OSU.
SELECTION The Department of Biological & Ecological Engineering Scholarship Committee will make the selection of the recipient. Selection will be based on scholarship and extra-curricular activities.
PROCEDURES The first award was presented in 1985. The award will be presented at an appropriate occasion selected by the Department of Biological & Ecological Engineering Scholarship Committee. A student may apply for this award or be nominated by a fellow student or faculty member of the Department of Biological & Ecological Engineering.A nomination will include a resume of the nominee, a letter of support from the major advisor, a listing of grades earned at OSU and no more than two additional letters of support.
ANNOUNCEMENT AND PUBLICITY Announcement of the award and the name of the annual recipient will be facilitated through the Department of Biological & Ecological Engineering.
JEFFERSON B. RODGERS AGRICULTURAL ENGINEERING SCHOLARSHIP RECIPIENTS
- 2021 Rowan Fay & Dragomira Zheleva
- 2020 Lynne Sabourin & Erin Drumm
- 2019 Erin Drumm & Kathleen Larson
- 2018 Nathan Barrios, Lucas Evans & Julianne Robinson
- 2017 Julianne Robinson, Liz Byron, Neal Poovaviranon
- 2016 Abigail Black, Alaina Floor, Lars Larson, Mary Morgan McCarthy, Shane Roach & Julianne Robinson
- 2015 Keaton Lesnik &Leah Tai
- 2014 Bill Hohenschuh & Dustin DeGeorge
- 2013 Ryan Cole & James Blount
- 2012 Marissa Buntin, Hannah Smith, Sada Egenriether & Sonja Michelsen
- 2011 Deepak Kumar, Ankita Juneja, Carole Abourached & Lara Heitmeyer
- 2010 Eric Andersen
- 2008 Julie Gabrielli
- 2007 Benjamin Flugstad
- 2006 Erika Kraf
- t2005 Julia Crown & Carole Abou-Rached (both Grads.)
- 2003 Erick Burns & Stephen Rooklidge
- 2002 David E. Rupp (Grad.) & Kristina Warren (Grad.)
- 2001 Jody Martin and Patrick Lew (both Undergraduates) & Chengyan Peng (Grad.)
- 2000 Denise Hoffert-Hay (Grad.)
- 1999 Laura Gramann (Grad.) & Megan Oest (Undergrad.)
- 1998 Robert Bower (Grad.) & John Wilson (Undergrad.)
- 1997 Jason Smesrud (Grad.) & Charla Triplett (Grad.)
- 1996 David Gochis (Grad.)
- 1995 Steven Niswander (Grad.)
- 1994 Alireza Esteghlalian (Grad.)
- 1993 Cheng-Kuang Hsu (Grad.)
- 1992 Kristen Overturf (Mitchell) (Grad.)
- 1991 Brian L. Whitaker (AE) & Robert W. Koca (Grad.)
- 1990 Brian L. Whitaker (AE) & Peter B. Bautista (AE)
- 1989 Mark L. Croghan (AE) & Brian L. Whitaker (AE)
- 1988 Darrell Dyke (AE) & Greg Peters (AET)
- 1987 John L. Childs (AE) & Nathaniel Miller (AET)
- 1986 Dean M. Bowdish (AET), Fall and Winter Term; & David A. Flesher, (AET) Spring Term
- 1985 Jon A. Odenthal (AET)