Bioethenal is one of the important alternatives to fossil fuels. This course will provide an overview of the biofuel feedstocks for production of fuels, feed and industrially valuable chemicals. Issues in feedstock utilization such as suitability, availability, sustainability and economic viability will be addressed. This course will cover the preprocessing, post processing and fermentation technologies in ethanol production. Influence of feedstock composition and process technologies on ethanol and coproducts will be discussed.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify potential feedstocks for biofuels and bioproducts
- Propose suitability of feedstocks based on chemical composition, agroclimatic conditions and process technologies
- Describe key processes in ethanol production from biobased feedstocks
- Differentiate starch and cellulose based ethanol production technologies
- Assess effects of process conditions and analytical techniques used in ethanol production
- Evaluate sustainability of feedstock production and assess its impact on socio economic parameters