Note that answers to FAQ are subject to modification based on policy changes that may not be immediately reflected on this page.  Please contact Catherine Mullins (graduate students) or Rachel Jones (undergraduate students) for more definitive answers to your questions.

General Building Policies
  • Keep outside doors closed during evening and weekend hours
  • Remember to lock your office door and lab doors when you leave
  • Do not let unauthorized persons in the building
  • If an individual has business in the building, they should already have a key or can get one from the department
  • DO NOT prop open outside doors!
  • The student lounge on the first floor in Gilmore Hall is primarily for use by undergraduate Ecological Engineering students; however, the department has the right to reserve and use the room for other purposes.
  • There is a small kitchen upstairs with refrigerator and microwave in Gilmore Hall Room 211 for use by students.  Students are responsible for doing their part to keep this area clean.


What do I do if something is wrong with the building (ex. toilet continuously running, power outage, window broken/won’t lock, leaks, pest infestation)?

Notify Catherine Mullins, in 116 Gilmore Hall, with as much detail as possible about the problem, and she will submit a work request to Facilities Services.


How do I reserve a room in the building for a meeting or other business purpose?

Departmental rooms (such as 116 Gilmore conference room and Gilmore Annex conference room) can be reserved via the Reservations page on our website.  To reserve the 234 Gilmore general purpose classroom, reach out to the Schedule Desk through their scheduling program.  You will need to email Catherine Mullins if you need a CRN number.

How do I get a key to (lab, student office, etc.)?

Graduate students should ask their major advisor to send an email to Catherine Mullins in 116 Gilmore to set up an online Key Request, letting her know which keys you'll need. Once submitted, you will receive an email from the Key Shop to pick up the keys. The Key Shop will need your photo ID and a deposit payment via cash or check.

What is the policy on access to the building after-hours?

Undergraduate students are not authorized to be in the building after regular business hours, unless attending an evening class. Graduate students have access to the building any time as long as they carry identification and an After-Hours Pass. You can obtain an After-Hours Pass from Jennifer Cohen in 116 Gilmore.

How do I get access to the Gilmore Annex shop?

The Gilmore Annex is locked 24/7 but is accessible with certain departmental keys and with advisor/instructor permission.  For safety reasons, no one is allowed to work in the shop alone. 

Can I switch my Grad student office or desk?

Please contact Catherine Mullins to inquire about the availability of graduate student office space. General things to keep in mind—keep your office clean, respect your office mate(s) and take ALL your possessions when you are finished with your program. Clean up your space when you move out. Cleaning supplies are available in the department office if you need them.

Lab Spaces

You will share your lab space with many people. Safety protocols should be given to you by your instructor. Your area also needs to be tidy to keep you and your colleagues safe. Cleaning supplies are to be provided by your major advisor (graduate students). Notify Catherine Mullins if you notice any janitorial or facilities issues, such as water leaking from pipes or trash not being taken out.

Where/what can I recycle?

Find out where the nearest recycle bins are and what type of recycling is accepted.


General Resources

Creating effective presentations - see Presenting Solutions and Elsevier for examples

Who is my advisor?

We have recently transitioned from faculty advisors to a centralized advising system with one Head Advisor, Dr. Rachel Jones who will handle all advising appointments, program petitions, graduation audits, class overrides, etc. 


What should I do to transfer from an external school into the EcoE program?

You will need to formally apply to OSU and be accepted.  The registrar’s office will produce an Advanced Standing Report based on your submitted transcripts.  You will then have to meet with the EcoE Head Advisor to determine which of your completed courses will count towards the EcoE degree.  More information is on our how to enroll page.

What should I do to transfer internally into the EcoE program?

Change of major requests can now be processed online by academic advisors. If you would like to change your major to EcoE, please contact Head Advisor Rachel Jones

What if I’m transferring internally to EcoE and have already taken CH 201?

You will need to take the chemistry for major’s sequence – CH 221, 222, 223 for a total of 15 credits.  Alternatively, you can complete CH 202 and CH 205 in addition to CH 201 for 7 Cr.  You will then need an additional 8 Cr. of upper division chemistry to complete the required 15 Cr. of chemistry – usually CH 331 and 332, Organic Chemistry.

Is EcoE an ABET-accredited program?

YES! Ecological Engineering is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, ABET evaluated the EcoE program for certification in October 2011, and awarded us accreditation. Accreditation is retroactive to students who have graduated from the program since 2010.

Can a student achieve an engineering license by graduating from EcoE?

To practice engineering professionally requires an engineering license. A part of the licensure process involves taking the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam. Students graduating from the Ecological Engineering undergraduate program can (and already have) taken the FE exam.

What is the process for applying to take the FE exam?

A: Students are able to sit for the FE exam through an arrangement with Oregon State Board of Examiners for Engineering and Land Surveying (OSBEELS), the state licensing board. Current students should apply (Dec. 1st deadline) to take the exam in the spring (early April) of their senior year through OSBEELS.  Review courses are available on campus for students taking the FE exam.

Is there a central resource for internships in the department?

Please check out our Careers and Internships webpage. In addition, Jennifer Cohen in the front office has an internship database. You are also strongly encouraged to talk the EcoE Head Advisor Rachel Jones or any of the faculty in the department who have many contacts.

I want to study abroad, how do I start the process? What are my options?

Great! Talk with the international programs office (located in University Plaza) and visit the COE international programs webpage.  Options are limitless. Generally, the engineering international programs office will handle all course approvals for engineering students studying abroad.  This office will create the necessary forms for signature once the courses have been identified. Students will then go to their respective departments for specific course approvals.  The process for the Ecological Engineering program is to obtain syllabi and other materials for the overseas courses you wish considered and submit a petition to the Head Advisor for consideration by the Undergraduate Program Committee. Acceptance of overseas courses has accreditation ramifications for the Ecological Engineering BS program. Courses, if accepted, will be considered either exact equivalents or engineering electives for programmatic purposes.

How long will a study abroad extend my degree?

This depends on many factors.  The best thing to do is write up a full course plan with and without the overseas component and check how it will affect you.  It is a good subject for discussion with your advisor and the International Programs engineering advisor.

What time is best for study abroad?

Spring/Summer of Junior Year.

How do I petition to get an exception on MyDegrees?

Talk with Head Advisor Rachel Jones. Check first, as some exceptions could be made without petition.

I am one credit short on my engineering electives, what are my options?

Take another course. Or take one credit of BEE 401 (research), BEE 410 (internship) or BEE 405 (reading and conference).

How many Upper Division (300 and 400-level) credits do I need?

60 or more upper division credits are needed.

How do I get into this great class if my pre-requisites are similar but not an exact match?

Talk to the instructor. For COE courses, you will need to fill out the College of Engineering pre-requisite waiver form.

What is the best way to schedule an advising appointment?

Scheduling of advising appointments will be done through an online scheduler, not via e-mail. For information on how to schedule an appointment, please visit the BEE advising webpage. Appointments are made on a first come, first served basis, so please plan and do not wait until your registration date to schedule an appointment.

I have a time conflict, how should I handle this?

For conflicts with engineering classes, fill out the COE override form and get signatures.  For non-engineering courses, each department has its own policies.  Meet with the affected instructors and discuss policies.

Can BEE 221 be used to satisfy the pre-requisite requirement for ENVE 421?

Yes, it currently is accepted as satisfying the pre-req requirement for ENVE 421.

I'm having problems with my major professor.  Who can I talk to about this?

Having an open and honest relationship between the major professor and the student is central to the success of a graduate experience. The student should feel free to discuss successes and problems, mistakes, or disappointments with the major professor. Throughout research and coursework, there are bound to be instances where things go wrong and this is to be expected. The sooner a problem is discussed, the sooner it can be resolved.

If you would like to share advice or recommendations on how your relationship with your major professor may be improved, you may do so in any way that works for you, including anonymous commentaries through the Department Head, John Bolte.  If differences cannot be resolved or you feel that you would be better served by a different major advisor, it is possible that you change major advisors.

How do I get reimbursement for travel?

Start by getting pre-approval for the travel from the PI.  During your travel, keep all receipts related to items you pay for.  Upon your return, submit the following to Jennifer Cohen in 116 Gilmore Hall:  

How do I get personal reimbursement for department expenses?

Submit your receipts to Catherine Mullins in 116 Gilmore Hall with your name, OSU ID#, the index # to be charged, and the business purpose for the expense.  

Who do I contact for HR/payroll questions?

Contact the Office Manager, Jennifer Cohen, via email, by phone at 541-737-6292 or stop by 116 Gilmore Hall. 


Who do I contact for questions about courses or other academic issues?

For graduate students, contact your major advisor or Jennifer Cohen. For undergraduate students, contact Rachel Jones.


For computing information and support, please see the Computing Support Page.