About this Award
Edward S. Allen was born on December 20, 1919, on a farm near Hood River, Oregon. He attended Oregon State University from 1938 to 1941 and majored in Agricultural Engineering. He greatly appreciated the concern that Professor Gilmore had for the Agricultural Engineering Students, and for Professor Gilmore’s offer to financially assist Mr. Allen if he had financial problems. In March of 1941 Mr. Allen accepted a position with John Deere Plow Company in Portland, OR because it was financially necessary. Mr. Allen worked for John Deere until September of 1942 and then joined the John Deere Battalion as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Army and participated in World War II. Mr. Allen returned to civilian life in June of 1946 as a Captain and went to work for CM & WO Sheppard Farm Supply. From June 1946 through December of 1948, he sold sprinkler irrigation supplies for R. M. Wade Manufacturing to Hood River farmers. On January 1, 1949, he joined Scott Aitken Orchards as Manager and worked there until the end of December, 1950. Mr. Allen joined Coulten Motor Company, the Ford-Mercury dealer in Hood River, OR, on January 1, 1951 and in January 1955, he and Mr. Leonard Hay purchased the dealership from Mr. Coulten and renamed it the Allen Hay Motor Company. Later, they started E & L Auto Parts. Mr. Allen bought out Mr. Hay's shares in the motor company in October 1969 and Mr. Hay's bought Mr. Allen's shares in the Auto Parts store as both businesses were so successful, that they each needed a full-time manager. Edward operated the business until December 31, 1983, when he sold the business and retired.