What is the BEE Industry Advisory Board?
The OSU BEE Industry Advisory Board comprises a group of dedicated industry representatives who serve in an advisory role in department-related planning and decision making. We seek the board's input on the Ecological Engineering program design, and we look to the board for assistance in strengthening our partnerships with industry.
It's a Two-Way Relationship
Key contributions from BEE Industry Advisory Board members and their organizations include the following:
- Input on programmatic decisions (e.g., software to use in courses) and development of strategic documents (e.g., BEE mission statement, program educational objectives).
- Evaluation of achievement of the BEE program educational objectives.
- Sponsorship of senior design projects and graduate research.
- Enrichment of the Ecological Engineering program, by giving lectures in undergraduate courses and seminars to the student club.
- Employment of our students as interns and our graduates as full-time employees.
- Advocating for BEE within their companies, resulting in equipment donations; scholarships, internships, and/or sponsored senior projects or research projects.
- Strategies and Support for increasing participation of underrepresented groups in the department.
- Participation in academic and social functions (e.g., senior seminar program, research presentations, student design competitions, annual scholarship dinner).
- Nomination of additional Advisory Board members.
Benefits of board membership include:
- Access to our best students, through screened student recruiting and company internships
- Invitations to participate in engineering career fairs and other recruiting events
- Opportunities to attend department, college-, and university-wide functions and collaboration with BEE faculty
- Inexpensive research support for your company’s projects, through senior design projects and graduate student sponsorships
- Opportunities for close association with BEE faculty, for example through teaching and research collaborations
- Networking opportunities with other board members
What is the Time Commitment for BEE Industry Advisory Board Membership?
Industry Advisory Board members are expected to attend meetings approximately twice a year. In some years, such as around ABET review years, additional meetings may be held. Further involvement in BEE program activities (such as sponsorship of senior design projects) is welcomed. Members will serve staggered 3-year terms. Vacancy appointments of members shall be filled for the remained of the unexpired term of the vacancy.
The IAB is composed of representatives of companies and public entities that interact with our students and program. The board will have no fewer than 5 or more than 10 members.
The IAB is intended to encompass the full spectrum of the employment community, with representation from the major industry segments. Membership shall include representation from historically underrepresented minority groups.
If you are interested in serving on the BEE Industry Advisory Board, please contact Jennifer Cohen, Office Manager: Email contact form or 541-737-6292.