Introduction to modern measurement methods for ecological applications, includes sensors and systems for measuring soil, water and atmospheric properties. Lec/lab. PREREQS: One year college physics.
The primary objective of the lab class is to provide students with hands-on experience in ecological data acquisition, interpretation, and presentation. Other objectives include providing the students with experience in communicating technical information to decision makers, and providing example application of mathematics, science, engineering, and ethics. Students will have a clearer perspective on the value of measurement, and the scientific method in dealing with problems in engineering.
Students should be able to accomplish the following upon completion of the course:
- The ability to form a hypothesis
- The ability to carry out measurements relevant to ecological engineering
- The ability to characterize the uncertainty of measurements
- The ability to identify personal knowledge gaps
- The ability to use external resources