Survey of irrigation systems, system configurations, factors that influence irrigation efficiency, crop water requirements, energy requirements, pumps, irrigation scheduling. For non-engineers. Lec/lab/rec. PREREQS: MTH 111
The student, upon completion of this course, should be able to:
- Calculate crop water requirements and estimate required irrigation system capacity.
- Calculate allowable soil moisture depletion and assess maximum interval between irrigations.
- Estimate economically optimal levels of water use.
- Recognize application uniformity and irrigation adequacy and their relationship to irrigation efficiency.
- Create preliminary designs for standard irrigation systems: center pivot, drip irrigation, and wheel line.
- Estimate the pressure losses in pipes and fittings.
- Describe the operational characteristics of pumps, and evaluate their performance.
- Adapt the principles and technology of scientific irrigation scheduling.
- Identify the processes and factors to deal with to ensure sustainability of irrigation.