Biological & Ecological Engineering Graduate Program
We appreciate your interest in our program and we hope you decide to join us!
Along with the details below, you will find detailed information about the application process, deadlines and university requirements on the Graduate Admissions site.
Please follow the directions on that OSU webpage if you decide to submit a formal application. The department application deadline for a domestic student is the same as the university requirement and that is no later than one month before the desired starting term – an international student is required to submit an application three months before the desired starting term.
For both domestic and international students, an early application will increase your chances of finding an advisor and financial support.
Additional questions? Connect with us here:
- One year, Calculus Equivalent : MTH 251,252, (306 or 254)
- Applied Differential Equations Equivalent: MTH 256
- One year, University-level Physics Equivalent: PH 211,212,213
- One year, Chemistry for engineering majors Equivalent: CH 201, 202, 205, 211, 212
- As of 2020, the GRE requirement has been waived.
- Three letters of recommendation - These are submitted using the online application system. The application system will request the email addresses of 3 people to serve as references. OSU will then send each person a request for a recommendation. Their responses will then be returned directly to OSU and added to your application.
- Academic transcripts from each institution you attended - These can be submitted as unofficial copies using the uploading portion of the online application, unofficial copies emailed to the department, or official copies sent from the institution to the department or the Graduate School. Unofficial copies are acceptable for evaluation purposes, but official copies will be requested by the Graduate School if you are offered admission.
- A Statement of Objectives is required. While we have no rules or requirements format, this is typically 1-2 pages in length.
Additional questions. On the application, we will also ask you four short answer questions to learn more about you (500 word or less). We would like to know more about YOU - who you are and how we can fit in with your goals.
Characteristics (ie, your learning style, personal strengths, ability to persevere during challenging times);
Your experience with leadership;
Your experience with research; and
The department wants to be a warm, welcoming place. We value diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice. What are your thoughts on diversity and how will you help contribute to an inclusive and welcoming environment in our department, at OSU, and beyond graduation?
Learn about and connect with our faculty. We cannot accept a student unless one of our faculty member’s volunteers to serve as their advisor. Potential students are encouraged to contact any faculty that they feel would be good match based on personal interests and long-term goals. This personal contact may be willing to advise or suggest another advisor. Conversely, be aware that blanket emailing all faculty is not a good idea. Choose the faculty *you* wish to work with and why you want to work with them in order to maximize impact and impressions. Contact information for our faculty members, along with their research details, can be found on our directory.
Reach out. After submitting your application, it is *highly* recommended that you stay in touch with OSU throughout the process so that you can confirm when your material were received and that faculty are still able to bring you on board.